We are honored to name Lindsay LaPaugh as our October Local Legend. Lindsay is known around the town as The Wellness Gypsy. She is a holistic health coach who is passionate about living a life that feeds ones soul. She is also co-owner of Salt Lake Elevated. Salt Lake Elevated is a gym with the mission to service the diverse Salt Lake population by providing education in comprehensive health, with a holistic approach. Salt Lake Elevated prides themselves in giving back to the community and creating opportunities for all individuals to participate in creating a harmonious community while improving their health.
We asked Lindsay a few questions to gain insight into her Salt Lake City experience.
1. How long have you lived in Salt Lake City? 6 years
2. Describe how what you do makes Salt Lake City great (self-promotion encouraged): I have the honor of working very closely with my clients. As a holistic nutritionist at The Wellness Gypsy and co-owner of Salt Lake Elevated fitness studio I get to help people with their workouts, and I go into their homes to teach them how to cook easy and tasty recipes.
The work I do in both business is personal, and intimate. Through a Wellness Gypsy holistic nutrition program they get connected to their true, authentic self and learn to let go of what society expects them to be or do. My philosophy as a holistic nutritionist is 80% Clean Eating, 20% Sh*t happens, so I help people understand that you can live a healthy lifestyle and have your cake(or pizza) and eat it too! Fitness gives them the confidence, holistic nutrition gives them their glow and overtime, when a client does the work, this has a ripple effect on their whole life and they become better friends, moms, dads, lovers, employees and productive members of our community.
3. Describe your experience getting a business started in Salt Lake City: When I started my first business, Wellness Gypsy, I had so much support. I knew a variety of small business owners and everyone was willing to meet and offer advice or even just listen when I need to talk things out. Salt Lake City is passionate and loves supporting small businesses and I felt that right away. I’ve always collaborated with other businesses and it’s felt like we were all in this together versus against each other.
4. Describe Salt Lake's healthy living/fitness scene: When I first started has a holistic health coach four years ago most people didn't know what that meant. They would look at me confused and expected me to sell them essential oils. In the last 1-2 years I’ve noticed a shift. People are understanding it isn’t just about working out. It’s not just about a number on the scale. Its about being passionate about your life, loving the job that you have, being involved in heathy relationships(romantic and friendships), and learning how to handle stress that everyone has to deal with in their life. At Salt Lake Elevated we help our members understand how important self-care is and how important it is to truly love and accept your body where it is, in this moment. If you’re working out everyday but you talk horribly to yourself and spend a lot of time thinking negative thoughts about your body, you’ve got to work on your mindset, not just your cardio.
5. What is your favorite thing about Salt Lake City? Hands down, all the people I’ve met here. I’ve had clients that are now like family and I continue to meet people who inspire and motivate me to do more in the community.
6. What do you wish more people knew about Salt Lake City? We have fun here! If you get bored in SLC it’s your own fault. There are so many different events every weekend and the Mountains are only a quick drive away!
7. What is your favorite part of town to hang around in? You’ll find me hanging in Sugar House or Downtown!
8. What would you tell someone if they told you they were moving here? Hell yes! Hit me up and I’ll show you some of my favorite restaurants!
9. What are your reccommendations for making new friends in our area? Find some local groups on meetup.com, or networking groups like YPSLC, put yourself out there and you’ll find your people. There are a lot of Transplants to SLC, we know what it’s like moving to a new city not knowing anyone and we love to help introduce the city to someone new!
10. Name your top 3 favorite local influencers on Instagram: @slcweekly, @spicyyogi, @local_enthusiast_slc
To connect with Lindsey, follow her on instagram @wellnessgypsy or catch her hosting the Fitness Happy Hour event on Thursday, October 11 @ 7:15 PM.